Wagamama: The Calorie Counts Have Arrived

Sushi at Wagamama

Hey people arriving from Google – this post is a bit out of date so I’ve done a new version – this is where you’ll find the 2017 calorie counts.

It’s been a good few months now since I posted my list of where to find the calorie information for most of the UK chain restaurants and, it was obviously a good idea as every day loads of people check it out (Frankie and Bennys is hugely popular with the calorie counting set!). At the time I told you that noodle gurus Wagamama were planning on publishing their calorie info in the near future – and now that day is here.

ID-10059312

I only discovered this myself last week when, due to strange circumstances, I ended up eating there twice in one day. I was therefore searching online for some idea of what might cause least damage while doing this only to discover a whole new nutrition section on their website. You’ll find it here if you want to visit it…http://www.wagamama.com/dietary/nutrition-info

It is one of those annoying ones where you have to click on each dish to get the calories within it – I prefer the ones where everything is in a long list so you can immediately see which item will make me feel most saintly – but, like so many of these things it does throw up surprises. I had recently switched my allegiance from the Yaki Soba (728 calories) to the Firecracker Chicken – thinking a dish that combined stir fry chicken with vegetables and plain rice had to be less calories than one containing fried noodles. Wrong – Firecracker Chicken contains a whopping 1141 a portion – 413 calories more!

So to save you making the same mistakes, here are the lowest calorie options Wagamama have to offer.

The absolute lowest calorie meal you can order is the Mixed Selection of sushi at 346 calories. However, if you’re not a raw fish fan here’s the best choices from the other menu options….

Ramen: Grilled Fish – 478 calories

Teppanyaki: Yasai Yaki Soba – 665 calories

Curries: Prawn Itame – 746 calories

Donburi – Chicken Tama Rice – 917 calories

Chilli – Prawn Chilli Men – 855 calories

Sides (not including soup or edamame) – Ebi Gyoza – 221 calories

I’m hungry now…..

Main image: Freedigitalphotos.net

Did you know that Wagamama also have a cookbook which lets you make their favourite dishes in your own home?
Click the link below to buy it via Amazon*

*This is an affiliate link

14 Comments

1. Lu

I love the accuracy of their calculations… Chicken Katsu curry, which you’ll be unsurprised to hear is my favourite, is 1103.2 calories. I wouldn’t mind if they rounded it to 1103, or even to 1100!! Unfortunately this information also means I shall probably never have it again. Fish ramen only going forward.

2. Lu

Also, I would love to know if you come across calories for Jamie’s Italian…I’ve been looking everywhere!

3. Pingback: Shhh… Don’t tell my Trainer! | Eating at my Desk

4. Kay

The calories are OK it’s the sodium! The grilled fish ramen is a day’s worth!

5. Lucy

They now do bean and glass noodle salad which is 471.

Thanks for this its helpful!

1. healthehelen

Thanks yourself for tne update.

6. Sima

Since when do wagamama do sushi?? None of the branches I’ve been to in London do.
    And I just checked online…. they don’t have it.
    I’m confused where you get the ‘Mixed Selection of sushi’ from?

1. healthehelen

They were just launching it when I wrote that post – it was definitely available in the branch near Selfridges or Covent Garden at one point as I toyed with ordering it. And, it was definitely on the website when I wrote the post or I wouldn’t have been able to know the calories – but that was a few months ago. Maybe they decided against introducing it. Thanks for alerting, might need to do an update on that one.

7. Sima

Oh, that’s a shame! I got excited for a minute there.

8. Sushigal

I think the counts may not be so accurate, I had firecracker prawns and there’s no way that has 1000+ cals! it’s not very oily and there’s not a lot of it! Katsu curry is a huge portion and fried.

1. healthehelen

Hmm, maybe – although it seems most of them come from the carbohydrate content. Maybe it’s a large serving of rice, it also seems to have quite a lot of sugar in it, perhaps in the sauce? The figures do seem to tally roughly if you work out the fat, carbs, protein

9. Dale

Hi Sushigal, re the Firecracker Prawns. The following is the information I have. The serving size 659g, so that may be why the calories are high.

Calories 1002, Fat 20.4, Sat Fat 3.4, Carb 176.6, Sugar 38.6, Protein 25.4, Sodium 2800.

1. NotYourNormalHealthBlog (Post author)

Thanks Dale….I will do a new one at some point.

10. Pingback: Pho Cafe - filling food under 400 calories. - Not Your Normal Health Blog

Hello...hello...is this thing on? Talk to me, it's lonely down here

Get the latest posts delivered to your mailbox:

%d bloggers like this: